Saturday 18 April 2009

War Photography today // James Nachtwey

"I have been a witness, and these pictures are
my testimony. The events I have recorded should
not be forgotten and must not be repeated."
-James Nachtwey-

El Salvador, 1984 - Army evacuated wounded soldiers from village football field.

Romania, 1990 - An orphan in an institution for "incurables

Rwanda, 1994 - Survivor of Hutu death camp.
© James Nachtwey

James Nachtwey b.1948 is an American war photographer. He has taken photographs in war zones in the Eastern Europe, The Middle-East, Asia, Africa and Northern Ireland. He has covered issues not only of war, but also of aids, famine, industrial pollution, crime, drugsmugling and 9/11.
(Photographs from James Nachtweys homepage)

Here is the trailer for the War Photographer documentary featuring James Nachtwey. It is directed by Christian Frei and received an Acadamy Award nomination for best documentary.

Here is a clip from the film:


As I imagine how it is like to be out there in the battlefield, I feel both a wish to do the same, to get out there and report on the evil of warfare, still at the same time I feel afraid of seeing people and places that I cannot help. Can a photography make a change ? Can it stop the war?
I do hope that it can be a part of it. It seems as the world will never be free of wars, but the images from the wars show us what is really happening out there. That we must never forget how horrible it is and do everything we can to stop it.

No comments:

Post a Comment